As part of its Petitions Scheme, the City Council welcomes e-petitions and recognises that e-petitions are one way in which people can let us know their concerns. E-petitions must be created and submitted through our website www.lancaster.gov.uk and must follow the same guidelines as paper petitions.
Privacy Notice (excluding statutory petitions)
Lancaster City Council complies with the Data Protection Act and the GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This Privacy Notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
Why we collect and use personal data about you
We collect and hold personal information relating to the Council’s Petitions Scheme when it is shared with us by a Petition Organiser when they submit their petition to us or when you sign an e-petition.
We use this information to administer the petitions scheme:
• Keep in contact with the petition organiser to make appropriate arrangements to host and respond to the petition.
• Check that responses meet the criteria of the petition scheme (requiring name, address and signature / email address)
The processing is necessary for the performance of a task in the public interest. Therefore, Public Task is the lawful basis for collecting and using your personal data. This data is required to facilitate the management of petitions, in line with Lancaster City Council’s Petitions Scheme. Local Authorities maintain appropriate schemes to support public engagement in Council business and participation in decision making.
What information do we collect about you?
When we host or manage petitions, we collect the following personal information about you when you provide it to us:
• Name, contact information and address (Petition Organiser)
• Name and address / email address (petition signatories)
Who we share your personal data with
We may share data with:
• other internal City Council Departments
• City Councillors involved in the subject of the petition
• third party organisations where the subject of the petition relates to their activities in order to respond to your petition
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we need to so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons. We retain information relating to the petitions scheme for 6 years after the date it was created.
You have the right to:
1. Ask to see the personal information we hold about you
2. Ask us to change information we hold about you if it is wrong
3. Ask us to delete the information we hold about you
4. Ask us to limit the way we use your personal Information
5. Ask for human intervention regarding decisions made about you by a computer
6. Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
7. Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
To exercise any of these rights please contact the Information Governance Team at email@example.com
A link to the City Council's petitions page, which provides guidance on petitions, can be found here.
Disclaimer: Lancaster City Council accepts no liability for the e-petitions on these web pages. The views expressed in the e-petitions do not necessarily reflect those of the providers. If you have any queries about e-petitioning or any comments or suggestions, please contact Democratic Services on 01524 582000, or email Democratic Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no current ePetitions