Venue: Lancaster Town Hall
Contact: Stephen Metcalfe, Democratic Services - telephone 01524 582073 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment of Vice-Chair
In accordance with Part 3, Section 3, Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules, of the Constitution, the holder of this appointment shall not be members of the largest political group, which has Councillors serving on the Cabinet.
The Chair requested nominations for the position of Vice-Chair of the Budget and Performance Panel for the 2019/20 municipal year.
It was proposed by Councillor Tricia Heath and seconded by Councillor David Whitworth that Councillor Roger Dennison be appointed to the position. Subsequently, it was proposed by Councillor Tim Dant and seconded by Councillor Mandy King that Councillor Joanna Young be appointed to the position.
Upon being put to the vote, three members voted in favour of Councillor Roger Dennison and five members in favour of Councillor Joanne Young, whereupon the Chair declared Councillor Joanna Young appointed to the position.
That Councillor Joanna Young be appointed Vice-Chair of the Budget and Performance Panel for the 2019/20 municipal year.
Minutes of the Meeting held on Monday, 19th February, 2019 (attached).
The minutes of the meeting held on 19th February 2019 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.
Items of Urgent Business authorised by the Chair
There were no items of urgent business.
Declaration of Interests
To receive declarations by Councillors of interests in respect of items on this Agenda.
Councillors are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which have not already been declared in the Council’s Register of Interests. (It is a criminal offence not to declare a disclosable pecuniary interest either in the Register or at the meeting).
Whilst not a legal requirement, in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 9 and in the interests of clarity and transparency, Councillors should declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared in the Register, at this point in the meeting.
In accordance with Part B Section 2 of the Code Of Conduct, Councillors are required to declare the existence and nature of any other interests as defined in paragraphs 8(1) or 9(2) of the Code of Conduct.
Councillor Mandy King declared an interest regarding the Panel’s Work Programme (Minute 5 refers). The reason being that she works as a volunteer at the Dukes, Lancaster.
Councillor Joanne Young declared an interest regarding the Panel’s Work Programme (Minute 5 refers). The reason being that she was a tenant in the Storey building, Lancaster.
Councillor Roger Dennison declared an interest regarding the Panel’s Work Programme (Minute 5 refers). The reason being that he was a member of the Armed Forces Organising Committee.
Report of the Director of Corporate Services.
The Principal Democratic Support Officer presented a report that enabled the Panel to consider its Work Programme and a referral recommended by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
The Panel was advised of a number of items that were reported on a quarterly basis, namely financial monitoring, corporate performance monitoring and key performance measures.
An annual stakeholder meeting was arranged as part of the Council’s budget consultation process, which was held in January each year, with other organisations invited to attend to present their budget proposals. Also considered on an annual basis was the Treasury Management Strategy.
It was reported that Cabinet Members could be invited to attend meetings to answer questions from the Panel.
The Panel was advised that the Overview and Scrutiny Committee would also be considering its Work Programme. Any items referred to the Panel would be reported as part of the Work Programme report.
It was reported that, at its meeting, held on 20th February 2019, the Overview and Scrutiny Committee had considered a report that detailed the current grant use for city centre arts provision. After considering this issue, the Committee recommended this Panel:
· To consider a strategic review of arts spend and Service Level Agreements for the management and governance of grants to support arts provision in the district. Documentation to be provided to include the accounts of organisations when available.
· To receive and consider the end of year activity report forms on at least an annual basis.
The Panel was asked to consider adding this item to its Work Programme.
Questions and queries were raised at the meeting regarding:
· commercial operations
· income/return on capital for each venture,
· monitoring the Council’s priorities and objectives,
· easy to follow reporting formats,
· reports on rental properties including vacancies voids and rent arrears,
· reporting by exception,
· impact of universal credit and work with the CAB and Signposts,
· review of the Council’s Procurement Strategy and in particular being based around wealth building locally and considering qualitative criteria and duty for best value and working with other organisations and businesses that may already have been working on this issue in the local area,
· use of the Ashton Hall,
· looking at Council assets particularly regarding rental income,
· small grants,
· reviewing rationale for funding,
· capital projects and Capital Strategy Group,
· community wealth building and financial and social values,
· invest to save,
· waste bin widgets,
· a wild flowers grassland survey,
· and access and questioning of monitoring information data.
It was noted that a list of Council assets would be circulated to the Panel.
It was moved by Councillor Tim Dant and seconded by Councillor Roger Dennison:-
“That the Work Programme report and appendix to the report be accepted, together with the referral recommendations from the Overview and Scrutiny Committee, subject to the words “when available” being deleted from the end of the first bullet point recommendation.”
Upon being put to the vote, the Chair declared the proposition unanimously carried.
(1) That the Work Programme report and appendix be accepted. ... view the full minutes text for item 5.