Venue: THIS WILL BE A VIRTUAL MEETING
Contact: Stephen Metcalfe, Democratic Services - email firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: THIS IS A VIRTUAL MEETING. YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE MICROSOFT TEAMS TO ACCESS THE MEETING. PASTE THE FOLLOWING LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER TO ACCESS THE MEETING. https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ZDUxZTlhNmYtNmJhNC00MWE4LWI2ODUtM2UyNGIyMWE1Yjlk%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%2261b49b28-22c1-4c9b-8830-70288744880e%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2204ebc003-aa07-424b-9037-e9c23273b693%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d
Minutes of meeting held on 6th July 2020 (previously circulated).
It was proposed by Councillor Oliver Robinson, seconded by Councillor Phillip Black and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 6th July 2020 be agreed as a correct record.
It was noted that the minutes would be signed by the Chair when the minute book was available.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations by Councillors of interests in respect of items on this Agenda.
Councillors are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which have not already been declared in the Council’s Register of Interests. (It is a criminal offence not to declare a disclosable pecuniary interest either in the Register or at the meeting).
Whilst not a legal requirement, in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 9 and in the interests of clarity and transparency, Councillors should declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared in the Register, at this point in the meeting.
In accordance with Part B Section 2 of the Code Of Conduct, Councillors are required to declare the existence and nature of any other interests as defined in paragraphs 8(1) or 9(2) of the Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of interests.
Items of Urgent Business authorised by the Chair
There were no items of urgent business.
Report of the Head of HR.
The Head of HR submitted a report that enabled the Committee to consider and agree with the updates to the Probation Policy, Bereavement and Compassionate Leave Policy and the Flexible working hours scheme policy. The recommendations of the JCC, which had been held prior to this meeting, were reported orally.
It was moved by Councillor Phillip Black, seconded by Councillor Caroline Jackson and agreed as follows.
That, subject to the amendments detailed below, the Policies and Procedures be approved.
Probation and Appointment Review Policy and Procedure
· Section 1.1 - amendment to wording include “excluding Directors, the Head of Paid Services, the Monitoring Officer and the S151 Officer, “
· Section 3.2 - first bullet point changed from job and person specification to job description.
· Section 3.2 - to include to confirm in writing to the appointee the outcome of the Probationary/Appointment Review Period.
· Section 3.3 - first bullet point – amendment from guidance document to including links to the relevant forms on the intranet and also to add the words “Where a manager doesn’t have access to the intranet, hard copies can be sent out.”
· Section 8.6 – amended to insert in the second sentence “The email will contain links to the intranet….” And add “Where an employee doesn’t have access to the intranet, hard copies will be sent out.”
· Section 9.3, paragraph 9.3.1 – after the word “happen” add the words “no later than 2 weeks either side….”
· Section 9.3.6 last bullet point – changed to say ”confirm the date of the Six-Month Review Meeting.”
· Section 9.4, paragraph 9.4.1 - after the word “happen” add the words “no later than 2 weeks either side.”
· Section 9.4.10 – change to “Where the employee has met the required standard and completed Probation/Appointment Review Form 3 – Six Month Review, the line manager will inform HR to write to the appointee to confirm the successful completion of their Probation/Appointment Review Period’.
· Section 12.5 – Delete Senior Service Manager, to be amended to “Only Heads of Service” at the commencement of line 1, and the fourth sentence to commence with “The Head of Service…”
· Section 13.2 – changed from writing to the HR Manager to the HR Department.
· Section 13.3 – changed from Service Manager to Director to reflect new job titles and to be in line with section 12.5.
· Section 15.0, paragraph 15.1, to insert “Automatic confirmation. Where the probation period, including any extension, has expired, the employee will be deemed to have automatically and successfully passed their probation and their employment will be confirmed. Previous paragraph 15.1 to be re-numbered to 15.2.
· Regarding the Policy in general. Any referral to a Chief Officer has been changed to Director. Any referral to Service HR Partner has been changed to HR. Any reference to ‘job description and person specification’ to just ‘job description’ now that the council no longer has person specifications.
Bereavement and Compassionate Leave Policy and Procedure
· Section 2.1 – Definitions, to be amended with the following words added ... view the full minutes text for item 17.
Report of the Head of HR.
The Head of HR submitted a report that enabled the review and offer input to the draft Fair Work Charter and to provide input to the diversity of our recruitment process and review and recommend improvements to our equality and diversity policy. It was noted that the JCC, at its meeting held prior to this meeting, had considered these issues.
A verbal update was provided at the meeting.
It was moved by Councillor Oliver Robinson, seconded by Councillor Cary Matthews and agreed as follows.
That it be noted:
(1) That an additional meeting of the JCC be arranged to consider feedback on the Lancaster District Fair Work Charter.
(2) That, with regard to recruitment processes and improvements for inclusivity, it be noted that further work will be undertaken and that this be included as a regular item on the agenda of future scheduled meetings of the JCC.