Agenda and minutes

Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Wednesday, 30th June 2021 6.00 p.m.

Venue: Morecambe Town Hall - MTH

Contact: Jenny Kay, Democratic Services - email 

No. Item


Appointment of Vice-Chair

In accordance with Part 3, Section 3, Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules, of the Constitution, the holder of this appointment shall not be members of the largest political group, which has Councillors serving on the Cabinet. 


It was proposed by Councillor Duggan, seconded by Councillor Austin-Baker and unanimously agreed:-


“That Councillor John Reynolds be appointed Vice-Chair of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee for the Municipal Year.”




That Councillor John Reynolds be appointed Vice-Chair of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee for the Municipal Year.





Minutes of the Meeting held on 28th April, 2021 (previously circulated). 


The Minutes of the Meeting held on 28th April, 2021 were signed by the Chair as a correct record.


Items of Urgent Business authorised by the Chair


The Chair advised there were no items of Urgent Business. 


Declarations of Interest

To receive declarations by Councillors of interests in respect of items on this Agenda. 

Councillors are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which have not already been declared in the Council’s Register of Interests. (It is a criminal offence not to declare a disclosable pecuniary interest either in the Register or at the meeting). 

Whilst not a legal requirement, in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 9 and in the interests of clarity and transparency, Councillors should declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared in the Register, at this point in the meeting. 

In accordance with Part B Section 2 of the Code Of Conduct, Councillors are required to declare the existence and nature of any other interests as defined in paragraphs 8(1) or 9(2) of the Code of Conduct. 



There were no Declarations of Interest made.


Climate Emergency Review of the Local Plan for Lancaster District - Progress on a Consultation Draft (Regulation 18) pdf icon PDF 304 KB

Report of Service Manager - Planning and Housing Strategy. 


The Committee considered a report which detailed the progress made on preparing the Climate Emergency Review of the adopted Local Plan.


Members were reminded that the Council had adopted the Local Plan on 29th July 2020 which set out how much development was required to meet the local need for homes and jobs in the period to 2031. The Council had agreed to immediately review the Plan in line with the Climate Change Emergency that had been declared by the Council. It was reported that over 30 policies had been revisited  with 5 main topics emerging  :


·       Heritage and Climate Change

·     Efficiency in New Housing

·    Blue-Green Infrastructure (the natural environment)

·    Sustainable Transport

·    Water Management


Cabinet had agreed to formally commence the review with the process beginning with remote scoping consultations taking place in Autumn last year.


The Committee asked a number of questions relating to consultees, the process of producing the Local Plan, the HIF bid and its relevance to the City Council’s Local Plan.


Members went on to discuss the importance of Modal Shift both locally and nationally in relation to private car use and public transport. The use of electric vehicles was also discussed.




(1)        That Members note the progress made on preparing the Climate Emergency    Review of the adopted Local Plan.


(2)        That Members endorse the intention to seek an imminent approval from Cabinet to commence the Regulation 18 Stage, informal consultation, on the draft revised Local Plan.



Appointments pdf icon PDF 169 KB

Report of the Chief Executive. 


The Committee was requested to make the following appointments:


·       Pre- Scrutiny Champion

·       Also to appoint to the following bodies:


·       Homelessness Forum

·       Lancaster, Morecambe and District Fairtrade Group




(1)   That Councillor Jack Lennox be appointed the Pre-Scrutiny Champion for the Municipal Year. 


(2)   The following appointments were agreed to outside bodies:


·       Homelessness Forum – Councillor Mandy King

·       Lancaster, Morecambe & District Fairtrade Group - Councillor Abi Mills


Work Programme

To submit any further items for the Work Programme. 


Members were informed that suggestions for the Committee’s Work Programme had been requested from all Councillors as well as the public. A number of suggestions had been received. It was reported that the Chairs of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee and Budget and Performance Panel would meet with the Council’s Exec Team to discuss the items that had been submitted, prior to the next meeting of the Committee. The list would then be considered by the Committee at it’s August meeting.


It was reported that the Leader of the Council had been invited to attend the next meeting of the Committee to discuss her priorities for the year. It was agreed to ask the Leader to provide information on the Council’s Recovery Plan post COVID.


The Committee went on to make other suggestions for the Work Programme :-


·       The impact of COVID and homeworking on Council employees

·       Town centres to be re-imagined – incorporating suggestions for the Work  Programme that had already been made

·       Complaints received by the Local Government Ombudsman

·       Focus on one Council Service each year beginning with Planning




That the suggestions set out above be included in the list of suggestions to be considered by Executive Team.