Venue: Morecambe Town Hall
Contact: Jenny Kay, Democratic Services - email email@example.com
Minutes of the Meeting held on 8th June 2022 (previously circulated).
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 8th June, 2022 were signed by the Chair as a correct record.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations by Councillors of interests in respect of items on this Agenda.
Councillors are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which have not already been declared in the Council’s Register of Interests. (It is a criminal offence not to declare a disclosable pecuniary interest either in the Register or at the meeting).
Whilst not a legal requirement, in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 9 and in the interests of clarity and transparency, Councillors should declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared in the Register, at this point in the meeting.
In accordance with Part B Section 2 of the Code Of Conduct, Councillors are required to declare the existence and nature of any other interests as defined in paragraphs 8(1) or 9(2) of the Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of interest made at this point.
Report of Head of Democratic Services.
The Committee was requested to consider the list of suggestions for the Committee’s Work Programme that had been received from members of the public and Councillors. It was reported that the Chair of the Committee and the Pre-Scrutiny Champion had met with the Council’s Executive Team to discuss and prioritise the outstanding Work Programme items and the suggestions that had been submitted for the forthcoming year.
The Committee considered the suggestions and agreed to the following being included in the Committee’s Work Programme:-
7th September2022 –
· Public Realm issues, in particular for this Council’s bins and benches in public places and bin collection.
· Request for a County Council representative to discuss weeds on the highways within the district, in particular what are the county council’s plans for the future, the use of chemicals and if/when the use of chemicals is going to cease.
· Chair of Recycling Working Group to attend to provide an update on the work of the Group.
26th October2022 – Priorities (A Sustainable District) *
16th November2022 – Crime and Disorder Meeting. 1 meeting required each year.
7th December2022 – Priorities (An Inclusive and Prosperous Local Economy) *
18th January 2023 – Health care meeting – Integrated Care Bodies etc. Previously requested by Council.
8th February 2023 – Priorities (Healthy and Happy Communities) *
8th March 2023 - Priorities (A Co-operative, Kind and Responsible Council) *
*Note: Four priorities
The Committee to look at the 4 Corporate Plan priorities for 2030, with a meeting being arranged for each priority. To add value by considering to what extent the Council has delivered on the outcomes. Relevant officers and partners to be invited to attend meetings.
· A Sustainable District
· An Inclusive and Prosperous Local Economy
· Healthy and Happy Communities
· A Co-operative, Kind and Responsible Council
Task Groups/Working Groups to be prioritised
· Ethical and Sustainable Investment Policy Formal Task Group , consisting of 9 members on proportionality. Previously requested by Council.
· Planning Informal Task Group. To consider the findings of the LGA Peer Challenge Review regarding Planning. To meet in November and consider the findings of the Review when available with a pre-briefing to be arranged for October. To help look at key issues and feed into the work of the Committee.
· Recycling Working Group. Previously requested by Council.
Task Group – In Reserve
· Revitalising Key Centres Informal Task Group. Re-commencement of the Task Group dependent on the conclusion of the work of the Recycling Working Group.
Items of Urgent Business authorised by the Chair
The Chair advised of an item being treated as a matter of urgency to be reported to an additional meeting of Cabinet on 26th July, with the deadline for a submission of 1st August, regarding the UK Shared Prosperity Fund. The Chair advised that he had waived the right to call-in this issue in accordance with Overview and Scrutiny Committee Procedure Rule 17(a). When informing the Committee, the Chair advised of his concern regarding the regularity and number of items that he was being consulted on and that the process was not sufficiently planned if Members wished to call this and other items of business in. The Chair advised that he had raised his concern through channels to the Council’s Chief Executive.
It was suggested that on future agenda a record of key decisions for which call-in has been waived by the Chair of Overview and Scrutiny be included.