Agenda

Council
Wednesday, 19th December 2018 6.00 p.m.

Venue: Morecambe Town Hall

Contact: Debbie Chambers, Democratic Services - telephone (01524) 582057 or email  dchambers@lancaster.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2.

MINUTES

To receive as a correct record the Minutes of the Meetings of the City Council held on 14th November 2018 (previously circulated). 

3.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

To receive declarations by Members of interests in respect of items on this Agenda. 

Members are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which have not already been declared in the Council’s Register of Interests. (It is a criminal offence not to declare a disclosable pecuniary interest either in the Register or at the meeting). 

Whilst not a legal requirement, in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 9 and in the interests of clarity and transparency, Members should declare any disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared in the Register, at this point in the meeting. 

In accordance with Part B Section 2 of the Code Of Conduct, Members are required to declare the existence and nature of any other interests as defined in paragraphs 8(1) or 9(2) of the Code of Conduct. 

 

4.

ITEMS OF URGENT BUSINESS

5.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

To receive any announcements which may be submitted by the Mayor or Chief Executive.  

6.

QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC UNDER COUNCIL PROCEDURE RULE 11

To receive questions in accordance with the provisions of Council Procedure Rules 11.1 and 11.3 which require members of the public to give at least 3 days’ notice in writing of questions to a Member of Cabinet or Committee Chairman. 

7.

PETITIONS AND ADDRESSES

To receive any petitions and/or addresses from members of the public which have been notified to the Chief Executive in accordance with the Council's Constitution. 

ITEMS DEFERRED FROM THE NOVEMBER COUNCIL MEETING

8.

CANAL QUARTER PROGRESS UPDATE pdf icon PDF 436 KB

To consider the report of the Portfolio Holder for Regeneration and Planning.

Additional documents:

9.

MOTION ON NOTICE - REDUCING CLIMATE CHANGE EMISSIONS FROM-BUILD HOMES BY IMPROVING THEIR MINIMUM ENERGY EFFICIENCY STANDARDS pdf icon PDF 377 KB

To consider the following motion submitted by Councillors Tim Hamilton-Cox, Caroline Jackson, Jon Barry and Kevin Frea.

“Motion on reducing climate change emissions from new-build homes by improving their minimum energy efficiency standard.

This Council notes:

·         the Government announcement in July 2018 that Council could set their own energy efficiency standards for new buildings beyond those set in Part L of the Building Regulations;

·         the October 2018 report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) highlighting that we only have around 12 years to reduce climate change emissions in order to limit global warming to 1.5 C. degrees above pre-industrial levels, for the reasons set out in the IPPC's report;

·         that local authorities are best placed to take a lead on, and implement, many of the measures needed to reduce climate change emissions.

 

This Council believes:

·         that one such measure is to improve the energy efficiency standards in new buildings, not only to reduce carbon emissions, but also to keep money that would otherwise go to energy companies circulating in our local economy;

·         that improving energy efficiency in new buildings is just one part of a strategy to reduce emissions in our district but is an important step to take that should be part of a wider strategy to be set out in a further motion in December following cross-party discussion.

 

This Council resolves:

·         to instate Level 4 of the Sustainable Homes Code as the minimum standard on all new homes and include this direction in the draft Local Plan;

·         to require a Passivhaus standard, as exemplified by the Lancaster Co-housing development in Halton, for all new homes built on council-owned land (following the lead of councils in Norwich and Cambridge, which have mandated higher standards of sustainability for homes on council-owned land);

·         to expand the range of housing specified in the Canal Quarter section of the draft Local Plan to include social and affordable homes and that these homes match the Passivhaus standard at Halton.”

An officer briefing note is attached.

 

10.

QUESTIONS UNDER COUNCIL PROCEDURE RULE 12

To receive questions in accordance with the provisions of Council Procedure Rules 12.2 and 12.4 which require a Member to give at least 3 working days’ notice, in writing, of the question to the Chief Executive. 

 

11.

LEADER'S REPORT pdf icon PDF 65 KB

To receive the Cabinet Leader’s report on proceedings since the last meeting of Council. 

REPORTS REFERRED FROM CABINET, COMMITTEES OR OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY

12.

EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC

Council is recommended to pass the following recommendation in relation to the following item(s):- 

 

“That, in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business, on the grounds that they could involve the possible disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 1 of Schedule 12A of that Act.” 

 

Members are reminded that, whilst the following item(s) have been marked as exempt, it is for Council itself to decide whether or not to consider each of them in private or in public.  In making the decision, Members should consider the relevant paragraph of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, and also whether the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.  In considering their discretion Members should also be mindful of the advice of Council Officers. 

 

13.

Investigation into Leaked Sensitive Information and Members Conduct

Referral from Standards Committee

 

Report to follow

Additional documents:

14.

Appointment to Chief Executive Post pdf icon PDF 77 KB

Referral of Personnel Committee

 

Report to follow

15.

Committee Timetable 2019/2020 pdf icon PDF 87 KB

Referral of Council Business Committee

Additional documents:

MOTIONS ON NOTICE

16.

MOTION ON NOTICE - BREXIT

To consider the following motion submitted by Councillors Caroline Jackson, Roger Mace and Dave Brookes.

 

“This Council notes:

 

·        That 28 months have passed since the European Union (EU) Referendum,
and that we are now approaching a critical time when the results of the
negotiations on the terms of the UK's withdrawal from the EU will be
presented to Parliament for a decision

·        The significant support that the Lancaster district has received from the
EU over many years for farming, infrastructure investment, tourism and
the environment

·        There are at least 10,000 EU nationals working and studying in the
district, mainly in Lancaster University and the health service. In this
district there is nearly full employment: any reduction in the labour pool
will make recruitment difficult for businesses

·        That in a recent survey in Lancaster 91 % of those surveyed believed that
Brexit was not going well and that 86% of those surveyed said that there
should be a popular vote on the final deal before we leave the EU

·        The mounting public concern at the prospect of leaving the EU with
either a bad deal or no deal at all

·        That many Councils across the UK including, in the North West,
Trafford, Liverpool, Stockport, Preston, Knowsley and Warrington have
each adopted motions supporting calls for a People's Vote on the final
Brexit Deal. Other Councils have carried out impact studies on how their
area will be affected by Brexit.

 

This Council believes:

 

·        That prior to the UK leaving the EU a national People's Vote should be
held where the voters make their final choice.

 

This Council resolves:

 

·        To explore with other Councils in Lancashire preparing impact studies on
the effects that leaving the EU will have on the economy of the County.”

 

 

An officer briefing note has not been provided

17.

MOTION ON NOTICE - HIGH SPEED 2 (HS2) AND THE IMPLICATIONS FOR THE LANCASTER DISTRICT pdf icon PDF 196 KB

To consider the following motion submitted by Councillors Eileen Blamire and Peter Williamson.

 

“This Council notes:

 

·         That in principle it welcomes the opportunity for improving rail links to the North West, particularly the potential for High Speed 2 (HS2) to add further capacity to the existing West Coast Main Line rail network.

 

·         That the final HS2 timetable is subject to future revision and consultation, but it wishes to ensure that our citizens benefit from the social and economic advantages that connection of the West Coast Main Line to the wider HS2 network may bring.

 

This Council believes:

 

·         That the City of Lancaster’s mainline station should serve as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains, which in turn will provide improved access for businesses, organisations, and residents within (and visitors to) the Lancaster District.

 

·         That the inclusion of Lancaster as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains has the potential to improve the future transport connections to Morecambe, including to Eden North (Eden Project), which is an emerging and potentially nationally-significant proposal.

 

·         That the Council should continue to consult with other prominent politicians, business leaders and organisations within the district to establish high-level support for the inclusion of Lancaster as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains.   

 

This Council resolves:

 

·         That the Chief Executive and Officers are empowered to promote Lancaster as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains, on behalf of the City Council and its’ citizens, for the reasons set out above.

 

·         That Officers are empowered to respond positively, on behalf of the City Council and its’ citizens, to any future, relevant, national consultations regarding HS2 to promote Lancaster as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains.

 

·         That as a first step, Officers arrange to work alongside prominent politicians, business leaders and organisations within the Lancaster District to collectively agree the detail regarding district-wide support for the inclusion of Lancaster as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains.

 

·         That in promoting Lancaster as a primary stopping station served by HS2 trains, that residential amenity environmental standards will continue to be protected.”

 

An officer briefing note is attached.

 

 

OTHER BUSINESS

18.

Members' Allowance Scheme: Review pdf icon PDF 63 KB

To consider the report of the Chief Executive

Additional documents:

19.

Review of the Empty Homes Charging Police Use of Discretionary Powers pdf icon PDF 223 KB

To consider the report of the Interim Financial Services Manager

20.

Localised Council Tax Support Scheme 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 153 KB

To consider the report of the Interim Financial Services Manager

21.

EDEN PROJECT NORTH pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To consider the report of the Assistant Chief Executive

Additional documents:

22.

APPOINTMENTS AND CHANGES TO COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP

Group Administrators to report any changes to Committee Membership.  

 

23.

QUESTIONS UNDER COUNCIL PROCEDURE RULE 12

To receive questions in accordance with the provisions of Council Procedure Rules 12.2 and 12.4 which require a Member to give at least 3 working days’ notice, in writing, of the question to the Chief Executive. 

24.

MINUTES OF CABINET pdf icon PDF 141 KB

To receive the Minutes of Meetings of Cabinet held on November 6th 2018 and December 4th 2018. 

Additional documents: